Imposter Syndrome: The Surprising Sign of Personal Growth in Business with Talia Jacqueline

Listen On Your Favorite App

Does Your Business have You Stressed, Tired or Overwhelmed?

Let me help!

Let's Talk
04/17/2023

Show Notes:

Did you know that only 7% of your communication is words, and the remaining 93% is non-verbal? Our guest today is a communication expert and will tell you all about how to own your words!

Meet Talia Jacqueline. Talia is the CEO of Visceral, a company helping business owners and their teams bring words to life and bring life to their companies. Talia was only 21 years old when learned the most valuable lesson in business, and that is that communication is everything. After studying communication and business psychology, she realized why it’s so important to learn to communicate your message with the right emotion, tonality, and strategy. Now, she’s helping business leaders and entrepreneurs to communicate their brand message with their audiences and create healthy work cultures.

Talia believes that there is an intimate connection between psychology and communication, and she’s committed to helping other entrepreneurs understand how their minds work and harness the power of communication.

In this episode of the Think Business with Tyler podcast, we talk about the importance of tonality, why imposter syndrome is a good thing, why your business is a reflection of you, and the power of strong communication skills.

If you want to learn more about communication, make sure you tune into this episode to hear what Talia has to say.

Guest-At-A-Glance

💡 Name: Talia Jacqueline

💡 What she does: She’s the CEO of Visceral.

💡 Noteworthy: Talia is an expert in business psychology and communications. She started her business at a young age and learned some valuable business lessons along the way.

💡 Key Quote: “It’s really who you are that actually is your differentiator anyway, so I would get really clear with what the emotions are that you have around what you’re trying to build and why that’s more of an identity than it is a business.”

💡 Where to find Talia: LinkedIn

Key Insights

How you say something is more important than what you say. Did you know that only 7% of your communication is words? This means that the remaining 93% is non-verbal and revolves around your emotions. So, your communication actually consists more of your voice tone and body language than your exact words. That’s why it’s important to understand the role of tonality in your day-to-day communication.

Talia explains, “It’s the lack of understanding tone. So as a child, we’re scolded many times like, ‘Watch your tone,’ and yet in business and as we adult and we build things we don’t actually understand, I think many business owners do not understand the role that tonality plays in how people process what you say and how they respond to you. So it’s really tonality that I think is really lost in the communication deficiencies.”

Imposter syndrome is a good thing. Despite what many people believe, imposter syndrome is not necessarily a bad thing. It actually means you’re growing and becoming someone else, which is always a good thing.

Your imposter syndrome is actually a sign of personal growth. Talia explains, “I have come to learn that imposter syndrome, which so many people experience as a negative thing, is actually a good thing. I had a mentor say this to me actually recently, and I thought it was so profound. He said, ‘If you’re experiencing imposter syndrome, you’re becoming someone that you’re not,’ which is a good thing. It means you’re changing, and I just loved that flip versus imposter syndrome means I’m not good enough, or I’m not worthy, or I’m not fit for whatever I’m telling people I do.”

Your business is a reflection of you. Self-awareness is key to a happy life, but it’s also vital for success in business. As a business owner, you need to know who you are because your business is a reflection of you.

Talia explains, “Who are you as a business owner or potential business owner soon to be? Who are you, and how is your company actually an extension of who you are? Because if they’re not connected, and you don’t start with who am I and who do I want to serve, you start focusing on like it’s like the window dressing and the building the walls to the house without the floor and the foundation. Who is more important than why, and more important than what, and more important than how.”

Communication is everything. Whether you want to create a healthy work culture or you want to engage your audience, communication is key. It touches every aspect of your business, so it’s critical to learn to communicate and own your words.

Talia says, “The thing that I would give anyone and try to give everyone around a tip in business is to really understand the role that emotions play in the conversations that you have to grow your business. It’s always going to be a conversation. It’s always a communication game as a starting point. You need all the other things like viability in the market and a product and a team, whatever, but at the end of the day, you create all of that through communication. So if you don’t understand the psychology of it, it’s going to be a lot harder, and if you do, you will go a lot farther and a lot faster.”

Top Quotes

“The more you understand how your own mind works and how other people’s psyche works, that actually very much changes the habitual patterns you fall into that are more reactionary.”

“You’ve got to figure out a way to make the numbers neutral. If you’re in an angst or you don’t feel like you can ask for any at all, like I couldn’t at that time, you have to figure out a way to make it neutral and then actually get in alignment with what you believe your value is.”

“I actually look at it, Tyler, as it’s an amplifier of whatever you’ve already built, so if you don’t know how to communicate your brand message and you go, and you try to communicate up that online where you have so much more exposure to so many other variables, there’s no way that it’s going to land if it’s not landing offline.”

It’s really who you are that actually is your differentiator anyway, so I would get really clear with what the emotions are that you have around what you’re trying to build and why that’s more of an identity than it is a business.”

“Trust is a byproduct. It’s not enough for people to know you, and it’s not enough for people to like you. They have to respect you. They have to respect you as a person. They have to respect you for your expertise. And if you get their respect, then you get their trust, and then you get a referral.”

Links

Value-Based Fees by Alan Weiss

The ONE Thing by Gary Keller

The 12 Week Year by Brian P. Moran

Start with Why by Simon Sinek

Personal Website

Visceral Website

Latest Podcast Episodes: